Monday, December 20, 2010

and finally, Bot!

Bot has been slow going - a lot of little details to figure out, and not much time to sneak around and work without Lydia seeing what I'm doing.  Thankfully, Chad kept her occupied for a while yesterday so I could make some headway.  I'm not as thrilled with this one as I was with Milli.  He's too flat - I should have made him more cylindrical.  But it's 5 days till Christmas, and I still have Geo to finish, so he'll have to do.

For more on the Team Umizoomi Dolls project for Lydia's Christmas:  See the finished Milli here.  See the first post and second post with pattern ideas.

See finished Geo here.

Update:  I am so flattered by the requests I have received to make sets of Team UmiZoomi dolls.  Even though it breaks my heart, I turn down these requests due to copyright issues, CPSIA red tape, and lack of time.  My purpose in writing these posts was to gather information, so that we parents could try and fill the gap Nickelodeon has left for us.  I continually refer people to the first and second posts in this series for sewing and crochet pattern ideas.  Hope that helps!


Anonymous said...

I am so impressed, they all look wonderful! I am getting hung up on Milli's head, I just cannot figure out how to fix it to the body without distorting the face. Urgh. And may I ask, how in the world do you turn those teeny tiny arms (like Bot's) inside out after sewing? I'm bamboozled! But fabulous job Mom! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

Jessica G.

Kim said...

Aw, thanks! Bot's arms were fairly easy to turn - they are just a bias strip of fabric folded in half and sewn. I attached a safety pin to one end and pushed it through to the other end. Alternatively, you can buy a tube turner that makes the job easier, but I don't have one of those. For the stuffing, I was rather proud of my idea - I threaded a large needle with 4 strands of yarn and ran it through the tube, which puffed it out nicely.

It was a little more challenging to turn Milli and Geo's arms. For this, I had to perform some tricks with a tweezer and a chopstick, but emerged victorious. Also had to use the tweezers to get the stuffing in.

And just so you know, I had a little trouble with Milli's face, too. Luckily, her dress hid the problem area, and I learned the error of my ways before putting Geo together. Milli's arms are actually attached to her dress, and then the dress is sewn to her neck.

Hope that helps, or at least makes sense! ;)