Wednesday, January 6, 2010

quick, cheap, warm windows

With this latest cold snap, we have been updating our curtains to the thermal variety. It may be all in my head, but it really does seem to make the rooms cozier, especially on the north-facing side.
But Lizi's curtains match her comforter, so we didn't want to replace those. Since there are three windows in her small room, one on the north side, it gets pretty chilly in the winter. My solution was to make a sort of shade from one of those (cheap) blankets that looks like thick felt. I was fortunate to find a blanket at Dollar General for $5, the exact measurement I needed for the three windows. I already had three spring-tension rods to hang them.

On the side of the blanket that would be the tops of the shades, I turned down and stitched a casing for the rods. Then I cut the blanket into thirds, put the rods through the casings and hung them in the windows. Finishing the edges was not necessary, as this fabric does not fray. It does stretch, so if it's a window that's used a lot you might want to bind the edges. If you need the shade to open and close often, you could add rings and strings on the back to raise and lower it. As is, though, the whole project took 15-20 minutes and cost $5, because I already had the rods. They could stand to be a bit thicker, and I may eventually buy another blanket to make them two layers; but already her room is more comfortable.

As for the rest of the house, as I mentioned, we've bought the thermal curtains. So what of all those zippered bags the panels are packaged in? If you know me at all, you know I'm a saver and re-user. We took the bags and put Lydia's little sets of toys and things in them. Each bag has a small hook on top, perfect for hanging from the shelf in her closet. It's exactly within her reach, the contents are visible, and she can open and close the zipper better than she could the gallon ziploc bags we were using before. (Please forgive the photo - it's a closet, and kinda dark!)
Hope you're staying safe and warm!

1 comment:

Megan said...

What a great idea!