Wednesday, April 30, 2008

a special cap



Gifts are for giving, don't you think? What I mean is, if God made you able to do something, you should do it to help others. It seems I'm wired for handcrafts, so I try to make things for people. One of my favorite things to make is chemo caps; they are quick, don't take a lot of yarn, and are a practical way to help cancer patients, near to my heart after Mama's bout with cancer. Most of the caps I've made have gone to people I don't even know.

But I guess that couldn't last.

We found out a few weeks ago that Chad's cousin Natalie had breast cancer. If you came to my and Chad's wedding, you may remember her as the beautiful girl stationed at the guest book. That was in 1991, and of course she is not a girl any more. She is a pharmacist, and has a great husband and two sweet little girls. Natalie has already had her surgery, and will start chemo in a few days.

My first thought was to get the best yarn I could find and make the best cap I could for Natalie. I chose Rowan Calmer yarn, and Chad helped me choose the color, carnation. The pattern is Lace Edge Women's Hat from Head Huggers. I also made caps for her daughters out of a less expensive and more easily obtainable yarn, Lily Sugar 'n Cream in rose pink, but they are a fair match. In case you need to know, one skein of either of these yarns was plenty for this cap.

Hang in there, Natalie. You have our love and prayers. I hope you don't need your cap.

No comments: