Friday, April 25, 2008

Cake idea


Our family has been doing the all-natural diet thing for 4 1/2 years now, and in that time I've baked a lot of birthday cakes. The church serves all-natural snacks to the children's classes as well, because several families there are on similar diets. So I bake a lot of cakes for the classes there too. There are ways of coloring with vegetable dyes, but they take a little time and I usually forget until the last minute. Natural colorings can be ordered, but they are pricey and I just haven't gotten around to it yet. So I have used all kinds of plastic jewelry and toys to brighten them up a bit. The kids like to keep those, too.

Last Wednesday night was the birthday of one of Lizi's friends, and she asked if I would make a cake. Of course, I was glad to. She is also allergic to chocolate, so I could not use that at all. I made all the icing white except for the writing, which I colored with turmeric (makes a lovely yellow color). Then I tried something I haven't done before - I bought some pretty flower-shaped pearly plastic hairbows, gave them a wash, and put them on the cake! The girls liked them, Lizi said. There was not a crumb of the cake left, so I guess they liked that too.

No comments: