Tuesday, February 23, 2010

truth be told

Recent events have brought to light the fact that I have a spiteful streak. I have a tendency to burn my bridges, paint myself into a corner, cut off my nose to spite my face (and likely throw it at the offending party).

Take the past year's CPSIA events, for example. I stopped making toys because the testing requirements made it completely unfeasible to sell one-of-a-kind toys. Over the course of the year, though, some other things happened; stays were granted, fabric and a very few other materials were exempted from testing, etc. It's still an infuriating situation, but many of the road blocks in my way, personally, were removed.

It came to the point that the only thing standing in the way of making toys again was… you guessed it… spite. Fury at a government who would make things so complicated for so little good to show for it. But in the end, was the government hurt by my pity party? Certainly not. The only one hurt by it was me.

Don't get me wrong, the labeling is still a hassle. But labeling has to be done, CPSIA or not. And I've reached the decision that I can give it a try. Because it's hard to be spiteful and infuriated when you're making a toy. It's like therapy. (Was the new design enough of a clue? Lizi did the banner all by herself, by the way!)

So over the next few days, I will once again be listing toys in my Etsy shop, and maybe ArtFire as well. There will be the old standbys, but also some new things. And just in time to ship for Easter! There will also be some fun going on here at the blog, so you may want to keep an eye here too.

I figured you were wondering about the basket of arms and legs. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you have found a way to do this again. It is therapy sure, but it is a ministry as well, so it is going to be a good thing.
Lizi did a great job on the banner, that girl is so talanted. I sure do love her, and you too.