Monday, March 9, 2009

If you're looking for a happy post, you might want to move along...

I got another reply letter from a congressman today. Another pat-on-the-head, "don't worry, we've got everything under control" letter. And I am angry. I have decided that I will not vote for any incumbent in the next two elections, because every one on my ballot was asleep at the wheel when this atrocious CPSIA came to a vote.

You know, a couple of months ago I had never written to a congressman. About anything. And I never paid much attention to politics; I hated the mud-slinging, and honestly felt too uneducated to understand it. I thought that being a good citizen meant voting and following the rules. But lately I've paid more attention, and I'm finding that if you can understand how toddlers act on a playground, you can understand most politics. And as far as following rules, those of us who are interested in keeping the letter of the law seem to be the ones getting the bad end of the CPSIA.

I would be completely without hope, except that I remember what kind of people populate America. Think about what's in our DNA: The kind of people who picked up roots and came to America were not the ones who sat and said "Oh, maybe things will get better..." The people who came here to this great melting pot were the ones who said "This famine/persecution/war/whatever stinks, and I'm not gonna take it anymore!" They sold everything they had, and sometimes sold themselves into a time of slavery, to come to a land they had never seen and try to make a better life.

If you live in America, and are not 100% Native American, you come from that stock. And I have a message for you: The America you love, the America your fathers and mothers shaped and died to protect, is slipping away from us. WAKE UP! And when you do, make enough racket to wake up the people around you! And read some of these: Overlawyered, The Common Room, and Organic Baby Farm regularly have informative posts on the CPSIA, and a lot of other important stuff too. Also, Jim Demint (R-SC) says that maybe it's time for some peaceful demonstrating?

If you don't normally read this blog, sorry you caught me on a bad day. If you DO normally read this blog, I'm sorry you caught me on a bad day too. But I think you know that this is a place for you to see my life and what I feel is important. Now, go call a congressman or something.

4 comments:

Nom de Blog said...

Thanks for the link! I'm not in a happy place today either. I'm going to have to do some needlework before I go medieval on somebody!

Anonymous said...

i think you should post the letter you received.

Kim said...

It wasn't a bad letter, really. Just stating the obvious, the stuff we already know. I'm just tired of the pat answers. If all these side effects were "unintentional", then why don't they just fix the thing?

Soli Deo Gloria said...

so glad to hear you are encouraging everyone else to "wake up" too- our country IS slipping away! We're trying to become more involved too
May God grant us grace